Saturday, March 5, 2011

Heading to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Sounds like a good name for a rock band to me, and it's a lot to type, so I'll be calling it SVG. I'm excited to be going to a new country, even though it's less than 12 miles from where we are now, even taking into account the reefs that we have to go around. Here's a map for those who haven't looked it up on Google yet. (I found it on World Map Now.)

(Click the map to open it in a size you can read.)

Last night we decided to go out for a nice dinner. We'd heard good things about the Slipway Restaurant. The people on the boat/bar Hallelujah, which is anchored here, were very enthusiastic about it, and it certainly lived up to the recommendations. Funny that it already has a reputation since it's only been open five weeks.

We started with a beet, blue cheese and walnut salad that John ordered on account of the blue cheese. It made us rethink beets; they were one vegetable that we didn't eat, at least not at home. Then John had the pasta with duck and cabbage, and I had the fish, which was supposed to be king fish, but they were out, so it was mahi-mahi. Ordinarily I hesitate to eat something that John makes at home because I'm often disappointed, and I did hesitate, but I wasn't disappointed at all. (The third entree option was pork tenderloin, but we'd had that very nicely done at Le Phare Bleu when we met Peter and Nelly from Alua for dinner, so we wanted something different. They also had lobster, but it was sold out just ahead of us.) We did have dessert—a chocolate pot de crème and an orange olive oil cake—but neither were as good as the previous courses. Bottom line is that we think this new little restaurant is something to rave about, so we are. I apologize for the lack of photos, but we were too busy eating.

The Slipway Restaurant isn't in any of the free guides that you pick up around the islands because it's so new, so here's the pertinent information. First, it's located at Tyrrel Bay on the beach next to the haul-out and boatyard. You can leave your dinghy at the boatyard, but watch your step as you cross the derelict dock between the main dock and the restaurant. The boards are loose. It's open for lunch from 11:30-2:00 and for dinner from 6:00-9:00 Tuesday through Saturday. They do a Sunday brunch from 11:30-3:30. The bar is open all day. Reservations are recommended, and the phone is 443 6500. (I couldn't find the phone number anywhere, so I called the boatyard to get it.) They also monitor VHF Channel 16.

Last night was a very special way to end our stay in Grenada and Carriacou, and now we're off to SVG. We don't know when or if we'll have Internet there, but we'll keep our position report current.

2 comments:

peregrins2 said...

Hope you get Internet. Love your blogs.

Phil said...

Shirlee –
I liked the map of St. Vincent and the Grenadines and I went to the site that you referenced: The World Map, or something like that.
I must be doing something wrong because all I could get was little tiny maps, three or 4 inches on a side. But, there is your map, like a page out of an Atlas, filling my browser screen.
I hunted around a little, but it seemed like the only map that was a reasonable size was the one you included.
What's weirder than that even is that that particular Map isn't listed! (Isn't in the list at the right of the website)
I suppose your within the auspices of the Bermuda triangle… Maybe that's why it seems so strange. I book marked the site, but I can't seem to make it work like you do.
I hope this comment will get lost in the shuffle. Reading your blog is so delightful, I can't really imagine what living that life must be like. Enjoy! – Phil