Monday, November 5, 2007

More on the Baja Ha-Ha

Before we started this, I didn't realize that there were three separate legs of the Baja Ha-Ha. Each leg has it's own race start. That's one of the most exciting things: 170+ boats jockeying for position. We were behind the pack for the start of leg 2, so it was pretty easy. Since we're sailing downwind, the spinnakers came out immediately, and we got a great view.



Today at Bahia Santa Maria, I've been out in the dinghy visiting people. First I stopped by Paradise Bound looking for my friend Martha. She was out, so I continued on. This time I was looking for a boat called Pacific Star. We figured out when we read the write-ups on the entries in this year's Baja Ha-Ha that the owners of Pacific Star used to own our old boat Resolution. At least, we thought they did. And we were right. When I located Pacific Star and called out asking if they used to own a boat named Resolution, they were amazed and seemingly delighted. It was great fun for me too. It turns out that they often saw us sailing Resolution out in the San Francisco Bay. Also, and this was news to us, soon after we bought Resolution, Latitude 38 had a photo of us in the "looking good" item. Horst said we were heeled over and you could clearly read the name of the boat. As soon as we get a good Internet connection, I'll have to go searching for that photo.



My other stops were at the other two Sceptres. We're finally all in fairly close proximity in the anchorage, and we're going to try to get together this evening. I took Märzen with me when I visited Pacific Wind with Steve Dana, DVM, and Laurie aboard. They were crazy about her and took many photos of her in her life jacket.

We're having a great time -- sailing as much as we can and motoring when we need to catch up with the group. The weather is finally gorgeous, and as John would say, "It's all good."

-Shirlee

No comments: