Friday, January 16, 2009

Flight canceled

Last night as I went to bed, I was thinking how glad I was that my flight to Amsterdam wasn't until 3:50 pm because I never sleep well when I have an early morning flight. That was just one thing I remembered as I saw my email this morning from Northwest Airlines (now part of Delta) that my confirmed, non-stop Portland to Amsterdam flight (scheduled for today) had been changed. Now I'm leaving at 6:30 am tomorrow with a three-hour stop in Minneapolis and arriving in Amsterdam at 6:30 am instead of the civilized 11:00 am of my original itinerary.

It's nice, of course, to have a few extra hours with my family, but I'll miss out on the choral concert in Amsterdam tomorrow evening. Marike's niece Lean is in it, and I was really looking forward to it. Plus I know I won't get much rest tonight, and John won't get much tomorrow night.

I did call NWA to confirm the change. They said it was due to airplane maintenance. One would think they did that in advance, so I suspect that it's really due to inadequate ticket sales. How do you ever find out the truth about these things? I know that they're reducing the number of non-stop Portland-Amsterdam-Portland flights.

Oh well. At least I got to fly non-stop on the way here—and business class at that. Maybe I can get a free upgrade on the Minneapolis-Amsterdam leg of the new itinerary.

No comments: