Sunday, May 2, 2010

Anchored at Puerto el Espalmador

We topped off our fuel and left Cartagena at midnight May 1st headed for our current anchorage, which I mistakenly thought was a mooring field. I should have double-checked myself. Oh, well, that's why we have an anchor.

The weather forecast called for southwesterlies yesterday, switching to northeasterlies today. That's why we left at midnight: to arrive before the wind changed. Instead, however, we never got favorable winds and motored the whole way with the wind forward of the beam. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of wind, and for a few hours we used the jib for an assist. Despite the lack of wind, the seas were bumpy with swell on the beam at least half of the way. We had been warned about the Mediterranean.

Regardless, we arrived at eight o'clock this morning, and the anchorage is nice and calm, unlike the seas of our passage. Espalmador is north of Frontera, just south of Ibiza. We anchored in grass, which is poor holding, so if the winds pick up, we'll have to let out more chain. Right now, we want to get our radio stuff (position report, this blog post, and new grib files) finished so that we can take a nap.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

No comments: